A local dairy farm (the Hilltop Farm mentioned in the image) has been running down for many years. At a town fair over the summer, the group in charge of restoring it was giving out these papier-mache pumpkins to artists who wanted to design and color them. They would then be auctioned off during a local beer-tasting event to benefit the farm.
The deadline grew closer and closer, and I still hadn't figured out what I wanted to do. One of my friends painted hers white and drew cartoons all over it, but I couldn't think of what to do. Then I realized I had a whole lot of Prismas lying around, and nothing said the design had to be overly complex. I grabbed a pencil and started drawing lines on the pumpkin, to see where it would take me.
I ended up with seven distinct columns (one for each section of the pumpkin) and these fell into five distinct rows. Each row had three 'cells' to it, and they began to look like stained glass to me.
Once I'd outlined the sections in a Micron brush pen (note to self: good idea, because it flowed right over the imperfections in the paper-mache), I chose my colors. Since this is an autumn event, I went with my favorite palette of turning leaves. Each row got three shades of a similar color family--dark in the middle, and lighter on the left & right.
What really drew this together, though, was the blue stem. I left it for last so I could use the stem for leverage without getting my hands dirty, and the pumpkin didn't seem quite finished until the blue went in.
I am very, very happy with how this turned out. I'd definitely do it again.